Right in the middle of the metropolis of Bangkok, surrounded by skyscrapers and busy roads, there is a tropical park with a Victorian villa dating from the end of the 19th century, which used to be the residence of the court physician to the King of Thailand. In 1946, the site was sold to the Netherlands and it has since been in use as the Dutch Embassy. Next to the villa, on an island in the garden pond, a new chancellery has been constructed.
The transparent building is accessed via a bridge over an adjacent stream on the quiet side of the plot. The chancellery is an expression of Dutch characteristics such as openness, transparency and functionality. The building also shows connections with Thai architecture: light construction methods, large overhangs, natural ventilation, interaction between the interior and the exterior. The chancellery has been fitted with a large cantilevered climate roof over the top, providing protection against sunlight and creating an intermediate climate. The roof is supported by slim columns with synthetic material stretched between them which acts as a sunshade. Corridors, waiting areas, lobbies and patios have been situated in the open air where possible, in order to achieve an optimum relationship with the surrounding greenery.