The main building, the workshop and the Dresselhuys Pavilion of the former tuberculosis sanatorium Zonnestraal have been restored. Sanatorium Zonnestraal was designed in 1926 by architect J. Duiker and is internationally regarded as one of the highlights of 20th-century architectural history. The restoration was designed in collaboration with Wessel de Jonge Architects.
The Duiker ensemble consists of a main building, two residential pavilions, a workshop and a nurses’ residence. The main building was restored in 2003, whereby the original design was reconstructed, retaining its concrete skeleton. The main building houses care functions and a conference centre. The building shell of the Dresselhuys Pavilion has been restored and is awaiting appropriate repurposing. The pavilion may be regarded as a pure restoration. At the start of the restoration, nearly all original materials and details were still present, albeit sometimes in a deplorable state. Two thirds of the concrete skeleton and floors could be saved and were repaired where necessary. Three quarters of the steel window frames were removed, treated and reinstalled.