A former factory complex has been turned into a centre for performing arts. Part of the existing complex has been transformed and combined with a new building housing the film and theatre auditoriums. The utilitarian character of the old factory has been retained and is reflected strongly in the design of the newbuild.
The character of the former waffle factory of Koninklijke Verkadefabrieken NV, designed around 1950 by architect A. Eibrink and situated on the north side of ’s-Hertogenbosch city centre, has been left as intact as possible. An efficient newbuild section now houses two theatre auditoriums and three film theatres. The centre for the performing arts Verkadefabriek responds to the blurring of boundaries between art forms and brings together performances, debates and meetings in a single building. The former factory floor with its light saw-tooth roof and the packaging hall with its large concrete barrel vault have been repurposed into respectively rehearsal rooms for three theatre groups and a grand café with office spaces.