By combining the newbuild for the Design Museum Den Bosch with the Noordbrabants Museum and the former Registry, an attractive Museum Quarter has been created in the historic city centre of ’s-Hertogenbosch. Contemporary art has been combined with regional art, culture and history around the monumental garden of the former governmental palace from 1768.
This national listed building has been home to the Noordbrabants Museum since 1987, after renovation work by architect Wim Quist. The former governmental palace has been completely restored. The structure of the palace has been returned as much as possible to the original series of period rooms, each with their own colour scheme. A museum route has been designed between the rooms, making the palace completely accessible to the public. The front of the building has been restored to its original condition. The rear of the palace has been fitted with metal shutters in order to protect against sunlight. Automated ticket sales take place in the former coach house on the forecourt.