Museum De Fundatie in Zwolle, in a former Palace of Justice located on the boundary between the medieval city centre and the open 19th-century canal parkland, has been extended by a spectacular volume on its roof.
The law courts on the Blijmarkt were originally designed by architect Eduard Louis de Coninck in 1838 in a neoclassical style. De Coninck’s task was to symbolise the unity in the legislation of the new kingdom through this architectural style. The building has a double symmetry featuring monumental entrances on both sides and a central entrance lobby on two floors. In 2004 the former law courts were repurposed into a museum (by architect Gunnar Daan), whilst the new extension was designed in 2010 by BiermanHenket Architects. Hubert-Jan Henket was able to persuade the client not to extend adjacent to the existing building, as this would have destroyed the solitary and symmetrical character of the building. An underground extension was too spatially complex. The extension was therefore designed as an autonomous volume on top of the monumental building.