The entrance area to De Nieuwe Ooster has been returned to its former glory. Some buildings, which did not do the listed ensemble justice, have been demolished. The various buildings have been renovated and extended. By moving the amenities to a different location on the cemetery, more space was created to arrange the ceremonies of taking leave and remembering. A new crematorium has been added to the large auditorium, the small auditorium has been moved to the former bier building and a second coffee room has been added. Karres and Brands have designed the surrounding landscape to match the original Springer plans.
De Ooster cemetery was designed in 1889 by landscape architect Springer. He designed a symmetrical entrance area in a country park, which was complemented with buildings in neo-renaissance style by architect Weissman. In 1939 the central reception building was replaced by an auditorium designed by municipal architect Leupen. Over the years, building volumes and functions were added, leading to a rather disorderly result.